Gallery

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Bluebird At My Window

It has been a few weeks since my last post but I am back!! Spring must be getting close for us here in North Carolina as I have had this bluebird fighting with himself in the window of my sewing room for weeks now! The bluebird house is a few feet away and Mrs. Bluebird has been redecorating and getting ready for the new brood. We have these bluebirds back every year and they are such fun to watch, but I wish he would figure out he's only fighting his reflection.

I have been doing a lot of sewing projects (while I watch the bluebirds) using burlap. I love working with this fabric.  I have made wine bags with drawstring tops and embroidered labels, also from burlap, to jazz up the bags. The first time I embroidered on burlap, it looked fine but it wasn't great. Then my sister gave me the tip that fixed it all. When you are embroidering on loosely woven fabric, to keep the threads from falling into the holes, use a piece of fun foam as your top stabilizer. The stitches sit up nicely and the foam breaks away cleanly leaving a very professional looking job. I bought a pack of foam in multi-colors for about $6.00 at Walmart. I have posted pictures below showing the process along with a picture of some of my finished wine bags.







No comments:

Post a Comment