Gallery

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Gilded to Chalkboard

I have been visiting the blog parties at Miss Mustard Seed and Elizabeth & Co. and seeing all the beautiful and clever things that other bloggers have done with furniture finds that I thought I should show you my mirror turned chalkboard. This began as a gold plastic framed mirror from the thrift store for $20.  I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it but I loved the detail on it. I found a how-to for transforming a mirror into a chalkboard.

I sprayed the entire mirror and frame with a 2 coats of spray primer and let it dry.


Then I applied 4 coats of chalkboard paint (you can buy a quart at most home improvement stores) and one coat of red semi-gloss paint. After everything was dry, I used some fine sandpaper and began distressing the frame here and there so the original gold mirror would show in some places.


The cutouts in the mirror frame make the perfect place to put the chalk. When my grandkids visited last summer, I posted each day's menu. They loved it! So look outside the box when you are thrift store shopping. If it has great detail you can do something wonderful with it.

5 comments:

  1. What an awesome THRIFTY chalkboard...great color. Love to paint? If so, hop over and enter my Miss Mustard Seed’s Milk paint GIVEAWAY!!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It turned out lovely. I found your post at No Minimalist Here's party. I'm near you on the list..hope you drop by.

    Helen of Helen's Decor

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome chalk board! Love the fun color you chose.

    ReplyDelete